His name is Shawn Kupfer and he writes science fiction books.
- He is also a podcaster.
- He has worked as a magazine editor, defense contractor, and was once a semi-professional kickboxer.
- In February 2009, he started the Twitter Novel Project (anonymously), where he posted novel-length works in 140-character chunks.
- Carina Press picked up his second Twitter Novel Project book, 47 Echo, for publication soon after.
- In June 2012, the sequel, Supercritical, came out.
- Shawn put out Fear and Anger, the third book in the 47 Echo series, on his own.
- He is currently working on the fourth book in the series.
The 47 Echo series is near-future science fiction. It’s about a massive land war between Russia and China on one side and the U.S. and its allies on the other.
Before he wrote 47 Echo, Shawn worked as a defense subcontractor. While working, he would sometimes overhear little bits of conversation which led him to research topics he applied in the book.
47 Echo is a convict unit – we empty out the prisons and put them on the front lines.
He starts his books with a single sentence ideas, such as: there are convicts at war.
Then he finds a character from that idea. That character is going to be the proxy for the reader and bring them into the story.
Shawn shares more of his writing process in this interview. If you’re interested in writing science fiction, you can learn a lot from Shawn by listening to this episode of the show.
- Men in Gorilla Suits podcast
- The Twitter Novel Project
- 47 Echo website
- Shawn’s writing
- Shawn’s Twitter
- Another Twitter belonging to Shawn – @Tweet_Book
- Shawn’s Metal DNA Twitter
- Men in Gorilla Suits Twitter
- Shawn on Idobe Howl (Metal DNA)
- Shawn on Facebook
- Email Shawn